Monday, May 16, 2005

A Christian Online

I am a Christian.

Main Entry: 1Chris·tian
Pronunciation: 'kris-ch&n, 'krish-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & n., from Greek christianos, from Christos
1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1) : DISCIPLE 2 (2) : a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3) : a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 19612 : the hero in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

What does that mean? The Merriam Websters dictionary definition above lists a some of the definintions of the word. In its most common use, it generally means that a Christian is someone who attends a "Christian" church, perhaps as opposed to a place where Muslims, Buddists, Hindus, or others of other religions worship God, or as opposed to perhaps athiests or agnostics who don't believe in God at all (or just aren't sure) about that.

This weblog is my opportunity to discuss what it means to be a Christian. I hope to post frequently in the future on this and related topics, and on my attempts to live a Christian life in general, thoughts about doctrine, tenants of my belief, and what I have learned from Gods word.

I hope to share about my life, musings, thoughts - rambling or well defined. I hope to find others who are like minded online to discuss and share ideas. I would like to debate my beliefs with others, even and especially if we disagree. If only for the purpose of being sure what I believe, and knowing with confidence why I believe what I believe, and exploring that with others. Something that makes the difference between having faith and blind faith. I would hope to learn to rightly divide the word of truth, and to bear God's word more effectively now and in the future.

I would hope to develop some online resources that can help other Christians in understanding the bible, learning and applying God's word to our lives in real and practical ways, etc. Maybe some online bible studies, resources for teachers of bible classes and preachers and teachers of God's word.

So, hopefully if you are reading this... you might come along on this journey with me, share some with me and others, explore God's word together with me, and find some encouragement together, some amusement, and some fellowship with a like minded believer.

No comments: